The Game Boy is a handheld game console developed and produced by Nintendo. It was first released in 1989 and was the first handheld console in the Game Boy line.
The Game Boy was a major commercial success and became the best-selling handheld game console of all time, with over 118 million units sold worldwide. It was known for its strong lineup of exclusive games, including the Pokemon series, the Super Mario Land series, and the Tetris game.
One of the key features of the Game Boy was its portability, as it was small and lightweight and could be easily carried in a pocket or bag. It was also known for its long battery life, which allowed players to play games for hours on a single set of batteries.
The Game Boy was succeeded by the Game Boy Color in 1998 and the Game Boy Advance in 2001. However, it remains a popular console among many gamers and has a large library of classic games.
Most popular titles
- Pokemon Red and Blue – These role-playing games, developed by Game Freak, were a major hit on the Game Boy and spawned a hugely successful franchise that is still going strong today.
- Tetris – This puzzle game, developed by Nintendo and Bullet-Proof Software, was a major hit on the Game Boy and is still played by many people today.
- Super Mario Land – This platformer, developed by Nintendo, was a major hit on the Game Boy and is still remembered fondly by many gamers.
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening – This action-adventure game, developed by Nintendo, was a major hit on the Game Boy and is still played by many people today.
- Donkey Kong – This platformer, developed by Nintendo, was a major hit on the Game Boy and is still remembered fondly by many gamers.
- Mario Tennis – This sports game, developed by Camelot Software Planning, was a popular title on the Game Boy.
Hidden gem titles
- Metroid II: Return of Samus – This action-adventure game, developed by Nintendo, is set in a creepy, alien-infested world and tasks the player with tracking down and defeating the eponymous character, Samus Aran.
- Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 – This platformer, developed by Nintendo, stars Wario, a character from the Super Mario series, and features challenging gameplay and unique power-ups.
- Castlevania: The Adventure – This action-platformer, developed by Konami, is the first game in the Castlevania series to be released on the Game Boy and features challenging gameplay and a creepy atmosphere.
- The Final Fantasy Legend – This role-playing game, developed by Square (now Square Enix), is the first game in the SaGa series to be released in North America and features a unique gameplay system and a deep character customization system.
- Shantae – This action-adventure game, developed by WayForward Technologies, is set in a colorful and detailed world and features a unique gameplay mechanic that allows the player to transform into different animals.