The Nintendo 64 (also known as the N64) was a video game console released by Nintendo in 1996. It was the first console to feature 3D graphics and was a major competitor to the PlayStation and the Sega Saturn.
One of the key features of the Nintendo 64 was its controller, which featured an analog stick and four buttons in a “M” shape. This allowed for more precise control in 3D games and helped set the standard for modern console controllers.
The Nintendo 64 was also known for its strong lineup of exclusive games, including Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart 64. These games are still considered some of the best games of all time and helped establish the Nintendo 64 as a major player in the gaming industry.
Overall, the Nintendo 64 was a successful console and is remembered fondly by many gamers. It was succeeded by the GameCube in 2001.
Most popular titles
- Super Mario 64 – This 3D platformer was a launch title for the Nintendo 64 and is considered one of the best games of all time.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – This action-adventure game is considered one of the best games in the Legend of Zelda series and is often cited as one of the greatest games of all time.
- Mario Kart 64 – This kart racing game was a major hit on the Nintendo 64 and is still played by many people today.
- GoldenEye 007 – This first-person shooter, based on the James Bond film of the same name, was a major hit on the Nintendo 64 and is still remembered fondly by many gamers.
- Super Smash Bros. – This fighting game, featuring characters from Nintendo franchises, was a major hit on the Nintendo 64 and has spawned many sequels.
- Star Fox 64 – This rail shooter is remembered as one of the best games on the Nintendo 64 and is still played by many people today.
Hidden gem titles
- Banjo-Kazooie – This 3D platformer, developed by Rare, is set in a colorful and whimsical world and features a wide variety of levels and challenges.
- Conker’s Bad Fur Day – This action-platformer, also developed by Rare, is known for its irreverent sense of humor and challenging gameplay.
- Paper Mario – This role-playing game, developed by Intelligent Systems, is set in a world made entirely of paper and features unique gameplay mechanics and a charming story.
- Sin and Punishment – This on-rails shooter, developed by Treasure, is known for its fast-paced action and challenging gameplay.
- Blast Corps – This action-puzzle game, developed by Rare, is set in a post-apocalyptic world and tasks the player with clearing a path for a runaway nuclear missile carrier.
- Bung Doctor V64 (coming soon)
- Everdrive 64 (coming soon)